Sunday, November 6, 2011

How big of an impact do new technologies and the media really have on society?


The impact of technology and the effect it has on people is a question that remains unanswered. Many people, including myself, wonder if the things technology has brought us, cell phones, computers, iPods, etc., has helped us as a society or has changed the way we live in a negative way. I believe that we are too attached to technology and rely on it too heavily. If someone took away my laptop and cellphone right now I would feel naked, lost, and detached from the world without my gadgets. I think that is the one of the biggest factors when it comes to children’s use of video games and television. I think that the amount of time kids play violent video games and watch violence unfold on the small screen is a major factor in how they affect a child’s social skills. If we weren’t so attached to our TVs, computers, and gaming systems then any affect that violence on them would have on children would be less severe because it wouldn’t assume so much of their lives. When we stop relying on these things then they will not hold such a strong stake in how we live our lives and therefore will have little to no effect on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment